As the painfully long absence of Game of Thrones continues, what better time to dedicate a post to some interesting facts about the series you may not be aware of?
In case it isn’t already painfully obvious, I’m seriously antsy for the eighth and final season to air next year.
- The first episode of season one was never aired because the show creators believed it to be pretty terrible.
- In this same episode, Catelyn Stark and Daenerys Targaryen were played by different actresses than those who play them for the entirety of the series.
- Peter Dinklage was tricked by show producers that the series had been cancelled.
- Sansa Stark (played by Sophie Turner) adopted her Direwolf from the show in real life.
- Dothraki is an actual language, and you can learn to speak it here.
- Several actors and actresses in the series have played more than one character throughout the seven seasons.
- Daenerys and her brother Viserys are described as having silver hair and violet eyes in the books
- Many of the characters who were killed in the television adaptation of the books remain to be alive in the books.
- The horse heart Daenerys eats in season one was actually a giant gummy candy.
- The names of many of the characters have become popular baby names across the world.
- Ramsay Snow (Bolton) came this close to playing John Snow. Thank God that didn’t happen.
- Game of Thrones has been the most illegally downloaded show over the past four years.
I can’t stress enough how much I love this show. It’s gory, violent, barbaric, intense, action-packed and suspenseful, all of which make for one glorious series. The acting is impeccable, the special effects are breath-taking, and I’m impatiently waiting for the final season to air so I can be awed one last time.
Until I re-watch the entire series, that is.
Photo credit: <a href=”https://visualhunt.com/author/8c8f22″>TaylorHerring</a> on <a href=”https://visualhunt.com/re/b1e8b4″>Visual Hunt</a> / <a href=”http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/2.0/”> CC BY-NC-ND</a>