I feel like taco salad is something that one either loves or hates. And, unfortunately, I would wager that there are more of us who dislike the stuff compared to those of us who actually enjoy it, arguably because it is difficult to come across a taco salad that tastes how it should; fresh, savoury, and bloody delicious.
My future mother-in-law makes hands down the absolute best taco salad I have ever had in my entire life. I don’t know what she does to make it taste so damn good, but it seriously is life-changing.
Unfortunately, I do not have her recipe (although I’m hoping I can get my hands on it soon), so until I do, I thought I would share the following taco salad recipe from wholesomeyum.com to tie us over in the meantime. Check it out.
- 1 lb Ground beef
- 1 tsp Avocado oil (or any oil of choice)
- 2 tbsp Taco seasoning (store-bought or home-made)
- 8 oz Romaine lettuce (chopped)
- 1 1/3 cup Grape tomatoes (halved)
- 3/4 cup Cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 1 medium Avocado (cubed)
- 1/2 cup Green onions (chopped)
- 1/3 cup Salsa
- 1/3 cup Sour cream
- Heat oil in a skillet over high heat. Add ground beef. Stir fry, breaking up the pieces with a spatula, for about 7-10 minutes, until the beef is browned and moisture has evaporated.
- Stir taco seasoning into the ground beef until well combined. If you like, you can also add 1/4 cup of water when adding the seasoning and let it simmer a bit.
- Meanwhile, combine all remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Add the ground beef. Toss everything together,” the recipe states.
This particular recipe doesn’t list tortilla chips as one of its ingredients, though I do strongly recommend incorporating them to bring the flavour of this dish to the next level, and also to add some crunch. I recommend using Frito corn chips.
Have at it, my friends!