If you’re someone who makes frequent use of makeup, it is probable that when you hear the term ‘highlighter’ you think of the intensely pigmented shimmery powder/liquid as opposed to a type of marker. I feel as though highlighters have taken the cosmetic industry by storm over the past year or so, and while I personally am not a huge fan of highlighters myself, I thought it may be beneficial to compose a post regarding what are recognized as the best highlighters within the makeup community. The following highlighters range from powders to liquids to creams:
- Benefit Watts Up! Cream Highlighter – $30.00 (cream)
- BareMinerals Clear Radiance – $21.00 (powder)
- Stila All Over Shimmer Powder – $22.00 (powder)
- Laura Mercier Shimmer Block – $44.00 (powder)
- Anastasia Beverly Hills Glow Kit – $52.00 (powder)
- Becca Shimmering Skin Perfecter – $46.00 (powder)
- Hourglass Ambient Lighting Palette – $70.00 (powder)
- Loreal Paris True Match Lumi Liquid Glow Illuminator – $13.00 (liquid)
- NYX Baked Blush + Illuminator + Bronzer – $7.00 (powder)
- Maybelline Lumi Touch Highlighting Concealer – $7.00 (liquid)
- Physicians Formula Nude Wear Touch of Glow Palette – $20.00 (powder)
- Physicians Formula Powder Palette Mineral Glow Pearls – $20.00 (powder)
Face highlighters are not difficult to locate and are available in most drugstores and Sephora stores. From my own understanding of this type of product, powder formulations seem to be most pigmented, however I believe it is a matter of personal preference. Highlighter can be applied to the tops of cheekbones, the tip of the nose, the cupid’s bow, inner corners of the eyes and can even be used as a shimmery eyeshadow. It is also commonly used to accentuate the brow bone, and some individuals use it on the shoulders and collarbone as well.
I am not a fan of highlighters because I already have oily skin and I feel as though adding excess shine will not benefit me personally, but a majority of makeup users enjoy wearing highlighter. If you have a favourite highlighter let me know in the comments!