Being an English Major, I have written my fair share of essays over the years. Granted, essay writing is a given in any humanities-based study, though I believe it is arguable that English is a degree of study that requires the most essay writing.
A lot of the time, when I tell people I am studying English, they respond with a look of disgust or disbelief. A lot of individuals struggle with english, but I personally think the root of their struggle is a misunderstanding of English fundamentals such as essay writing.
I have been asked on several occasions ‘how to write a proper English paper’, so I figured I would propose my own technique for the task. I hope my tips/guidelines can provide someone with assistance!
Your essay should follow the following structure:
(1) Introductory Paragraph: The introductory paragraph should contain an introductory sentence, in which you simply introduce the topic of your essay. Following this, it should contain your thesis statement, which is a proclamation of an argument, how you plan to prove your argument, and an explanation as to why your argument is relative or important to the essay overall.
(2) Body Paragraph: The body paragraph are typically focused on one portion of your argument. For example, if your argument has three examples you wish to provide as evidence for your cause, consider dividing each example up into three separate body paragraphs. This way, things stay organized, and you are able to focus on one specific example as opposed to trying to cram everything into one body paragraph.
(3) Body Paragraph: See above statement (you can have as little or as many body paragraph as you require to discuss your argument)
(4) Body Paragraph: See above statement (you can have as little or as many body paragraph as you require to discuss your argument)
(5) Concluding Paragraph: In the concluding paragraph, you are going to re-state your thesis, which is a proclamation of an argument, how you plan to prove your argument, and an explanation as to why your argument is relative or important to the essay overall. Following this, you are going to briefly explain how you proved your arguments. Finally, you are going to conclude by tying your essay topic and argument together in one final summation sentence.
The above guideline follows the standard five paragraph essay, but it is essential to keep in mind you are able to include as many or as little body paragraphs as you need.
Good luck, and happy writing!