When I sat down to write this post, I couldn’t help but note that the song Unchained Melody by The Righteous Brothers was playing via the radio in the other room. I’d reckon the majority of folks are familiar with this tune as it is a classic love song, but to me, it has a little more sentimentality; it is the first song Blaine and I ever danced to at his cousin’s wedding, and I tend to smile each time I hear it play.
After I pulled myself out of La La Land to write this post, I thought it might be neat if I shared some of my favourite songs with all of you. These songs in particular aren’t my favourites in terms of their sound (although they’re all fucking great tunes), but rather their lyrics; I have a soft spot for poetic, deep, moving lyrics.
This shit just gets me. As my sister says, half of the music I listen to has a bit of a depressing tone to it, but I find it’s often the sad songs that pack a wallop.
So, without further ado, here are some of my favourite songs in terms of lyrics:
- Vincent by Don McLean
- Stairway to Heaven by Led Zeppelin
- 39 by Queen
- Make you Feel my Love by Adele
- How Great Thou Art by Carl Boberg
- For the Nights I Can’t Remember by Hedley
- Beside You by Marianas Trench
- Danny’s Song by Anne Murray
- She Will Be Loved by Maroon Five
- Hallelujah by Leonard Cohen
- Your Side of the Bed by Little Big Town
- Bridge Over Troubled Water by Simon and Garfunkel
- Millionaire by Chris Stapleton
- Hotel California by The Eagles
- Comeback Kid by Kip Moore
I’m sure I’m missing a few, but I hope you can appreciate these songs for their lyrical poetry and the powerful messages they drive home through melody.