As obvious as it seems, a majority of individuals fail to consume enough water in a day. Water, although slightly boring, is tremendously beneficial to the human body. It is a simple yet highly effective way to fuel our bodies with proper nutrients, and furthermore a necessity for proper bodily functions.
According to an article on mindbodygreen.com, there are ten main reasons as to why a person should be drinking adequate amounts of water in a day:
(1) Water promotes energy levels in the body and combats fatigue
(2) Drinking water encourages weight loss as a result of its metabolism-boosting properties
(3) Water rids the body of toxins
(4) Water can clear skin imperfections because it is highly moisturizing
(5) Water ensures consistent digestion of food
(6) Water heightens the effectiveness of a person’s immune system
(7) Water can help to relieve headaches as it combats dehydration, a main cause of headaches
(8) Water lessens the chance of sprains and cramped muscles because it hydrates tissue
(9) Water has zero calories, meaning it is a suitable beverage for anyone watching their weight
(10) Water is cheaper than most beverages available for purchase – compare a bottle of water to a Cappuccino at Starbucks
Understandably, it can be difficult to consume the recommended eight glasses of water in a single day. Some persons drink more than eight glasses in a day, and some persons drink far less than such amount. It is important to pay attention to what you body is telling you, so if you begin to recognize symptoms of dehydration (irritability, fatigue, headache, constipation) be sure to ingest some water as quickly as possible.
Some alternatives to plain water that are low-calorie include adding some lemon or lime juice to your water, adding fresh fruit, or even using a calorie-free water enhancer, for example Mio.
It is essential to remain hydrated throughout the warmer temperatures that summer beckons. Always have water on hand, and try to refrain from allowing your body to become dehydrated.