We’ve all been there. You’re conversing with someone and you catch a whiff of your own breath and have to suppress the urge to gag because the scent is so foul.
While bad breath can and typically is rather embarrassing, it certainly is not abnormal nor is it impossible to prevent or manage. The following suggestions come from Webmd.com and offer some solutions for smelly breath.
- The first may seem rather obvious, but simply brushing your teeth and flossing on a regular basis can work wonders when it comes to tackling bad breath. Try to brush and floss each morning and evening and feel free to mix some mouthwash in there for prolonged minty freshness.
- On the mention of mouthwash, the website suggests rinsing your mouth out with this product after each meal to rid your mouth of any smelly food particles.
- Tongue scrapers are a very effective way to rid the mouth and tongue of excessive bacteria. I own one and use it every evening, and while some toothbrushes come with ‘tongue scrubbers’ I recommend purchasing an actual tongue scraper to get the most out of this product – they are available at most drug stores.
- This recommendation is quite vague, but the website suggests avoiding foods that cause your breath to smell. This is obviously different for each person, but some foods that make my breath stink include dairy products (which I no longer eat), coffee and cucumbers (weird, I know).
- Avoid using tobacco products – cigarettes and chewing tobacco are two culprits behind causing breath to smell, specifically cigarettes, so keep this in mind the next time you have a smoke before meeting with a date or friends.
- Chew gum rather than mints – saliva is stimulated by gum whereas it is not by chewing or sucking on mints, so opt for some sugar free gum to get the most out of these breath battling products.
- Drink plenty of water, as it is a natural way to rinse your mouth out after eating and banishing bacteria.
- Consider visiting a doctor if your bad breath persists, as it may be an indication of an underlying condition.
Bad breath is not pleasant but it is not impossible to get under control. I hope some of these tips work for you!