For a school assignment, my colleague and I were asked to compose a presentation regarding Pericope and what it consists of.
According to Wikipedia, Periscope is a live streaming App designed for Android and iOS smartphone devices. It was developed by Kayvon Beykpour and Joe Bernstein in 2014 and was originally named Bounty. It was originally acquired by Twitter in January 2015 prior to its public launch, and in March 2015, Pericope was officially launched.
Here are some interesting statistics regarding Periscope:
- Periscope CEO: Kayvon Beykpour
- Periscope Headquarters: San Francisco, CA
- Periscope Employees: 25 as of September 2015
- Total Number of Periscope Users: 10 million
- Total Number of Daily Active Users: 1.9million
- Total Number of Broadcasts to Date: 200 million broadcasts
- Majority of Periscope users are between the ages of 16 and 24
- 29 per cent of Periscope URLs are posted by women
- Top 3 Countries where live Periscopes are broadcasted are U.S.A., Turkey, and Brazil
Periscope is a combination of a video streaming social media type, a social networking social media type, and a service social media type.
My colleague and I believe Periscope would be beneficial for businesses involved with international affairs, visual demonstrations/tutorials, growing a business internationally, connecting with employers and customers, live events, in-perosn Q&As, and webinars.
Here are some interesting facts about the App:
- 40 years-worth of Periscope live video is viewed each day
- 350,000 hours of Periscope video is streamed daily.
- Periscope is available in 25 languages
My colleague and I like Periscope and its concept and functionality because of its widespread accessibility. Internet access allows for any individual across the globe to post or view content on the App, and we believe it is a means to express creativity, passions or information regarding a specific topic.
Personally, I have never used Pericope, but after conducting some research on the App for a project I might give it a try.