The human body, as a concept, is fucking wild, if you ask me. Bodies are truly insane in terms of what they are capable of doing; our bodies tell us when we are in need of sleep; our bodies notify us when we are hungry or thirsty and then proceed to digest these same materials it called for; our bodies produce waste and further have the means to remove it; our bodies have the ability to heal naturally.
These are just a few examples of why I find the function of the human body to be mind-blowing, and I hope you can all agree.
Because human bodies are the shit, I wanted to do a bit of research and find some interesting facts about them to share with all of you. The following information comes from nectarsleep.com.
- “Men have about 50% more muscle mass than women.
- Our body neurons communicate by sending electrical signals.
- The human brain alone controls thought, memory, emotion, touch, motor skills, vision, breathing, temperature, hunger and every process that regulates our body.
- The heart is a muscle that beats around 100,000 times per day.
- Enzymes are actually proteins that are responsible for speeding up chemical reactions in the body.
- Blood carries oxygen and nutrients around the body.
- Red blood cells are responsible for carrying oxygen.
- White blood cells fight infection and disease.
- Platelets are fragments of cells that help to clot blood.
- Bone marrow produces red and white blood cells and platelets.
- Hemoglobin is the protein in red blood cells that carries oxygen.
- Muscles produce heat as they work, which helps to regulate the body’s temperature.
- The brain uses around 20% of the body’s energy.
- The brain has about 100 billion neurons.
- Each neuron can connect with up to 10,000 other neurons.
- The retina is the layer at the back of the eye that detects light.
- The lens of the eye focuses light onto the retina.
- Images are sent from the retina to the brain by way of the optic nerve,” the web page says.
Check back tomorrow for even more nifty facts about the human body!