A few nights ago, my mom served our family and me a Hungarian cucumber salad for dinner.
Perhaps I should add that there were more food items than just cucumber salad. We are not being rationed, at least, not to my knowledge. We also had hash browns and fish.
It is quite possible you’ve never heard of Hungarian cucumber salad, and I wouldn’t be surprised if you haven’t. Us Hungarians are known for our meat and potato dishes with an odd noodle dish mixed in. Not cucumbers. But, Hungarian cucumber salad is very much a thing, and there are a few variations of it. Neither is more traditional than the other, but there are some strong opinions as to which version is the signature one of Hungary, and also which one tastes better.
I thought I would share a recipe for Hungarian cucumber salad because it is quite delicious, and a perfect veggie option for meals all summer long. This particular recipe comes from allrecipes.com.
- 2 large seedless English cucumbers, sliced thin
- 1 extra large onions, sliced thin
- ¼ cup chopped fresh dill
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper, or to taste
- Step 1 Lightly toss cucumber slices, onion slices, and chopped dill together in a large bowl.
- Step 2 Pour vinegar over cucumber mixture; toss to coat.
- Step 3 Pour oil over cucumber mixture; toss to coat.
- Step 4 Season with salt and black pepper,” the recipe states.
This recipe is rather simple to make, and it doesn’t require a lot of ingredients. Other versions of this salad contain paprika, if you wanted to take a walk on the wild side and throw some in. This salad pairs beautifully with a variety of dishes, and it’s a crowd favourite.
I recommend making a batch the day before you serve it and allowing it to marinate and ‘get happy’ as my dad says in the fridge. The flavours will be absorbed into the cukes, packing even more of a flavour punch, and it also keeps in the fridge for a couple of days.
Image from https://images.pexels.com/photos/3568039/pexels-photo-3568039.jpeg?auto=compress&cs=tinysrgb&w=1260&h=750&dpr=1
2 thoughts on “Read this to learn how to make Hungarian cucumber salad”
We used to eat this salad but always added a bit of sugar to ours. I think most of us liked that touch of sweetness.
A lot of folks do! Thank you for reading. 🙂