I feel like a lot of us have misconceptions about salads. When we hear the word ‘salad’, we arguably visualize leafy greens with some sort of dressing, probably oil and vinegar if I had to guess.
This form of salad, in my own humble opinion, is a wee bit bland and boring. Well, actually, not a wee bit. It’s super fucking boring, and I for one do not support this concept of salad.
I love me a solid salad, and when I say salad, I’m referring to one that encompasses all four food groups and serves as a meal, not some weightless supposed appetizer. You cannot tell me, Sharon, that plain ass lettuce with a dollop of oil lights a fire under your ass, and anyone who can say this should probably remove their own tastebuds seeing as this is a disgrace to what salads should embody.
I came across a recipe for an Epic Summer Salad from bbcgoodfood.com, and I wanted to share it with all of you in hopes of deterring the possibility of throwing some weeds in a bowl. Have a look.
- 400g black beans , drained
- 2 large handfuls baby spinach leaves , roughly chopped
- 500g heritage tomatoes , chopped into large chunks
- ½ cucumber , halved lengthways, seeds scooped out and sliced on an angle
- 1 mango , peeled and chopped into chunks
- 1 large red onion , halved and finely sliced
- 6-8 radishes , sliced
- 2 avocados , peeled and sliced
- 100g feta , crumbled
- handful of herbs (reserved from the dressing)
For the dressing
- large bunch mint
- small bunch coriander
- small bunch basil
- 1 fat green chilli , deseeded and chopped
- 1 small garlic clove
- 100ml extra virgin olive oil or rapeseed oil
- 2 limes , zested and juiced
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp honey
- STEP 1 Make the dressing by blending all of the ingredients in a food processor (or very finely chop them), saving a few herb leaves for the salad. You can make the dressing up to 24 hrs before serving.
- STEP 2 Scatter the beans and spinach over a large platter. Arrange the tomatoes, cucumber, mango, onion and radishes on top and gently toss together with your hands. Top the salad with the avocados, feta and herbs, and serve the dressing on the side,” the recipe states.
Now, this is a salad, my friends.