I wouldn’t exactly say that the benefits of drinking green tea are obscure. In fact, I would say it’s quite the opposite; most of us are aware of the health benefits that come from green tea, but despite being conscious of this beverage’s advantageous properties, I question how many of us are aware of what exactly these properties consist of.
Not to fear – I did a little bit of research to understand the benefits of green tea myself, and so I figured I would share this knowledge with all of you.
This information comes from healthline.com.
- “Green tea is loaded with polyphenol antioxidants, including a catechin called EGCG. These antioxidants can have various beneficial effects on health.
- “Green tea contains less caffeine than coffee but enough to produce an effect. It also contains the amino acid L-theanine, which can work synergistically with caffeine to improve brain function.
- “Green tea may boost metabolic rate and increase fat burning in the short term.
- “Green tea has powerful antioxidants that may protect against cancer. Multiple studies show that green tea drinkers have a lower risk of various types of cancer.
- “The bioactive compounds in green tea can have various protective effects on the brain. They may reduce the risk of dementia, a common neurodegenerative disorder in older adults.
- “The catechins in green tea may inhibit the growth of bacteria in the mouth, reducing the risk of bad breath.
- “Some controlled studies show that green tea may cause mild reductions in blood sugar levels. It may also lower the risk of type 2 diabetes.
- “Green tea may lower total and LDL (bad) cholesterol, as well as protect the LDL particles from oxidation. Studies show that people who drink green tea have a lower risk of cardiovascular disease.
- “Some studies show that green tea may lead to increased weight loss. It may be particularly effective at reducing the dangerous abdominal fat.
- “Studies show that people who drink green tea may live longer than those who don’t,” the article states.
Now that we all have a clearer understanding of why we should be guzzling back this stuff, let’s get on it and buy some green tea.