When I was younger, Hamburger Helper was the shit. I can recall the majority of my friends ingesting it on a semi-regular basis, and I was always envious of their privilege to eat this stuff because my mom determined it to be too unhealthy for us to eat and enjoy.
I mean, in retrospect, my mom made this decision on all of our behalfs for the sake of our health. She meant well, but I’m still bitter about my inability to gorge on Hamburger Helper like every other damn kid in my class.
Years later, I actually had the opportunity to try this stuff myself, and it was glorious. Is Hamburger Helper full of all sorts of additives, artificial flavours and a shit load of salt? Probably. Do I care? Hell no.
Because my mom and her strife for health have had an impact on my own food choices, I thought I would share a recipe detailing how to go about making Hamburger Helper from scratch. I figure it has to be a little healthier, at least. This particular recipe comes from thesaltymarshmallow.com.
- 1 Pound Ground Beef
- 1 Tablespoon Ketchup
- 1 Teaspoon Dijon Mustard
- 1 Teaspoon Hot Sauce Optional
- 1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Onion Powder
- ½ Teaspoon Seasoned Salt
- ½ Teaspoon Salt
- ½ Teaspoon Pepper
- 1 ½ Cups Macaroni
- 3 ½ Cups Broth or Water
- ½ Cup Sour Cream
- 2 Cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Cook the ground beef in a large skillet over medium high heat until no longer pink. Drain grease and return meat to the pan.
- Reduce heat to low and add the ketchup, mustard, hot sauce, seasonings, macaroni and broth to the pan and stir well to combine.
- Cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes until macaroni is cooked through.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in the sour cream.
- Return the pan to the warm burner and stir in the shredded cheese until well combined,” the recipe states.
There you are, my friends. Now go make some homemade Hamburger Helper and eat it without feeling too badly about yourself.
Image from https://images.pexels.com/photos/1684032/pexels-photo-1684032.jpeg?auto=compress&cs=tinysrgb&dpr=2&h=650&w=940