My post a few days ago regarding how to make some wicked homemade French fries inspired me to dedicate some more posts not only to recipes, but further, recipes for quintessential foods I feel like we often take for granted. French fries are arguably one of the most popular foods on the planet, but they really don’t garner the attention and recognition they deserve. The humble potato is a lethal weapon in terms of its diversity in the culinary world, and I think taters need some more respect.
I’m getting a little off-topic, here. I digress.
In addition to a lack of appreciation for the majestic French fry, I feel like onion rings are a little disregarded considering how fucking wonderful they are. Occasionally I prefer onion rings to fries, and you can dabble in a multitude of dipping sauces when you’re enjoying onion rings, an added bonus.
To honour our dear friends, onion rings, take a look at the following recipe from allrecipes.com to learn how to make them from home.
- 1 large onion, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk, or as needed
- ¾ cup dry bread crumbs
- seasoned salt to taste
- 1 quart oil for frying, or as needed
- Step 1: Heat the oil in a deep-fryer to 365 degrees F (185 degrees C).
- Step 2: Separate the onion slices into rings, and set aside. In a small bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Step 3: Dip the onion slices into the flour mixture until they are all coated; set aside. Whisk the egg and milk into the flour mixture using a fork. Dip the floured rings into the batter to coat, then place on a wire rack to drain until the batter stops dripping. The wire rack may be placed over a sheet of aluminum foil for easier clean up. Spread the bread crumbs out on a plate or shallow dish. Place rings one at a time into the crumbs, and scoop the crumbs up over the ring to coat. Give it a hard tap as you remove it from the crumbs. The coating should cling very well. Repeat with remaining rings.
- Step 4: Deep fry the rings a few at a time for 2 to 3 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove to paper towels to drain. Season with seasoning salt, and serve,” the recipe states.
Whether it be French fries or onion rings you’ve got a hankering for, I have you covered, my friends.
Image from https://images.pexels.com/photos/263049/pexels-photo-263049.jpeg?auto=compress&cs=tinysrgb&w=1260&h=750&dpr=1
One thought on “Here is how to make some killer onion rings”