While it isn’t quite watermelon season yet here in Ontario, the time is approaching, and I and a lot of other Ontarians are arguably excited. Watermelon is the shit; it’s super refreshing on a hot day, and because it contains so much water, it is a very filling snack, which I can appreciate.
The one and only downside of watermelon would probably be that isn’t the neatest thing to eat, but I will happily bathe in watermelon juice if it means I get to enjoy this delightful fruit.
My mom brought home a watermelon a couple of days ago, and while it wasn’t a local one, it was still pretty damn tasty. Eating it prompted me to remind myself of how much I enjoy watermelon salad, and I thought I would share a recipe for it with all of you since it isn’t necessarily the most common dish to concoct.
If you’re a little hesitant to give watermelon salad a shot, don’t knock it until you try it. It’s fucking scrumptious, and this particular recipe comes from loveandlemons.com.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- ½ garlic clove, minced
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
For the salad
- 5 cups cubed watermelon
- 1 heaping cup diced English cucumber
- ¼ cup thinly sliced red onions
- ⅓ cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 avocado, cubed
- ⅓ cup torn mint or basil leaves
- ½ jalapeño or serrano pepper, thinly sliced, optional
- Sea salt
- Make the dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lime juice, garlic and salt.
- Arrange the watermelon, cucumber, and red onions on a large plate or platter. Drizzle with half the dressing. Top with the feta, avocado, mint, and serrano pepper, if using, and drizzle with remaining dressing. Season to taste and serve,” the recipe explains.
This watermelon salad will be a superstar on your table at your next summer barbeque. Here’s hoping you enjoy it as much as I do.
Image from https://cdn.loveandlemons.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/watermelon-salad-580×812.jpg