I will throw hands right here and now with anyone who can tell me with sincere honesty that eating raw cookie dough isn’t absolutely the best part of making homemade cookies. If you’re telling yourself otherwise you’re a damn liar and that is that.
In case you couldn’t tell, I have some passionate feelings toward cookie dough, specifically any containing chocolate chips.
While cookie dough is arguably one of the best creations to shove into our mouths, it sadly isn’t necessarily the safest thing to eat, you know, because it’s raw and all that jazz. Personally, I would be happy to risk salmonella for some raw cookie dough, but I can’t assume everyone would be willing to take that hit. So, I thought it would be beneficial to find a recipe for cookie dough that is, in fact, safe to eat, and the following recipe comes from cookingclassy.com.
Even better, this recipe offers three different cookie dough flavours to feast on.
- 1 cup (136g) all-purpose flour, heat treated to kill bacteria*
- 1/2 cup (113g) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup (110g) packed light brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp (40g) granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 Tbsp milk, then more as needed
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (82g) mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Add butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar to a medium mixing bowl, sprinkle salt evenly over.
- Using an electric hand mixer whip together until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Mix in 1 1/2 Tbsp milk and the vanilla extract.
- Add in flour and blend just to combined, while adding milk 1/2 Tbsp at a time to thin if needed.
- Using a rubber spatula fold in chocolate chips.
- Store cookie dough in refrigerator (note that it will harden up once chilled because the butter will solidify, you can let it rest at room temperature if desired).
- FOR CHOCOLATE CHOCOLATE CHUNK COOKIE DOUGH: replace 1/3 cup of the all-purpose flour with 1/3 cup (32g) dutch process cocoa powder. Mix cocoa in with the flour. Replace mini chocolate chips with 2 oz. dark chocolate chopped into small bits.
- FOR FUNFETTI SUGAR COOKIE DOUGH: omit brown sugar, use 2/3 cup (136g) granulated sugar (total). Add 1/4 tsp almond extract in with the vanilla extract. Replace chocolate chips with 1/3 cup (52g) white chocolate chips. Fold in 3 Tbsp rainbow jimmies sprinkles with white chocolate chips, serve with more sprinkles on top,” the recipe states.
Have at ‘er, my friends.