Regardless if you’re working right now, in self-isolation, or in quarantine, I think it is safe to say that we could all use a bit of a pick-me-up in such a desolate time. Many of us are doing everything in our power to stay as positive as possible, but as the days of COVID-19 continue, it’s easy to slip into some negative and dark thoughts and influence our mental health in the process.
My post that was published a few days ago provides some ideas and activities that can be done if you, like many of us, are stuck inside your home, but I wanted to create another that more specifically focuses on mood-lifting things we can practice right now. Here are a few of my own ideas:
- Practice meditation
- Try doing yoga
- Get some fresh air – go for a walk or run, try hiking if you live near trails or wooded areas, ride your bike or do some yard work
- Try your hand at photography as it can be a very rewarding experience
- Connect with friends and loved ones via phone, email, social media, facetime, skype or whatever tickles your fancy
- Watch some funny animal videos
- Watch anything funny, whether it be SNL skits, Youtube videos, or stand-up comedy – find something that makes you laugh
- Get in touch with your inner child – pull out some board games or puzzles, try drawing, colouring or crafts
- Recall happy memories
- Smoke weed (it works for me)
- Break a sweat and get some exercise
- Think of things you are grateful for, both big and small
- Spend time with animals, if you have pets
These are a few of my own ideas, but since we are all different, what makes me happy might not work for you and vice versa. Do some self-reflection to determine what gives your joy, and invest some time in doing that.